Oct 22, 2020
In this Kitchen Design Essentials episode Frances runs through
the critical element of lighting in your kitchen. She discusses the
need for task, ambient and decorative lighting for different
scenarios, particularly for kitchens in an open plan space. She
also discusses the many different alternatives available to using
downlights, and why it’s important to use a combination of light
Lighting affects your mood and your ability to work in a space.
It is a key component to the overall functionality of your
Provides specific and increased light to accomplish specific
task (E.g reading, working, or cooking). Task lighting is critical
in the kitchen, as it is in a bathroom. Proper task lighting
enables work surfaces to be illuminated such as island benches,
under overhead cupboards, and corners.
- A good artificial light is required regardless
of what natural light is available
- Natural Lighting – Nothing beats good natural
light How much natural light you have depends on orientation of the
kitchen and the kitchen location in the home.
- Skylights- Can be openable which allows hot air to be released.
Kitchens are often placed in an open plan area where it’s open
to lounge and dining. To avoid only having task lighting, ambient
lighting is needed to create mood and atmosphere in the whole open
plan space, including your kitchen.
- Dimmers- an important way to create ambient
- Downlights- Choose a downlight that is good
- Has broad beam which reach more space
- Decorative lighting plays a big part of interior design
Pendant lights- serves as a decorative element but
can also be used as an ambient light.
- If selected well, and is over an Island bench it will function
as task lighting, ambient and decorative lighting.
- Allows for soft lighting to be used in the overall open
- If you want your pendant lights to provide task lighting over
the bench, need to consider the light illuminated from the
- Need a number of pendants to match the size of the bench. Scale
- Pendant lights allow you to add your personality into the
kitchen but make sure that it coordinated back to the cabinetry
Have a combination of task lighting, ambient/mood lighting, and
decorative lighting so you have the ability to dial your lighting
up or down as required.
Alternatives to downlights
- Sit in the ceiling just like a downlight
- Can move around so you can get light exactly where you need
- Can be mounted on the ceiling and offers multiple lights from
- You can point them where you need them to be.
LED Strip Lighting – multiple types
- Strip under the front of the island bench for
- Under the overhead cabinetry to illuminate bench under the
- On the top of the overhead cabinetry pointing up to the ceiling
to reflect light off the ceiling.
- Provides excellent task lighting, good ambient lighting and is
- Available in different styles
- Ideal for homes with high ceilings
- Installed in the ceiling like a downlight
- Points to the wall and bounces light off the wall.
- Beautiful for highlighting artwork.
- Sits above the overhead cabinetry.
- It creates a strip of light that pushes lights down into space.
It can be built into the bulkhead.
Under cabinetry lighting
- Instead of strip LED, you may want to consider smaller lights
(i.e circular or square) that sits in the overhead cabinetry.
Light from your rangehood
- A good light source
- Illuminate your stovetop
It is worth investing in getting your lighting design for your
kitchen (or your whole house). Engage either a lighting designer or
an interior designer that is able to do a lighting plan for you. It
is only when you live with poor lighting, that you understand the
value of having really good light and the impact on how it makes
you work and feel in space
Beautiful Kitchen Design Made Easy Online
Ready to design and create your own beautiful kitchen? Get all
the interior designer insider knowledge in this online course to
create your dream kitchen. Find out more and join
Book A Chat
Ready to renovate or create your kitchen but not sure where to
Get the help of a property expert and save yourself from making
costly mistakes with a free Forever Home chat. Click
to get access to Frances' calendar;
Kitchen Bliss Package
Overwhelmed by the amount of decisions that need to be made when
creating a stylish, functional and durable kitchen? What materials
to select, what colours will co-ordinate together, what design is
going to best suit the space, and your requirements.
We offer kitchen design packages that include joinery design and
material selections for a complete kitchen design. Click the link
here to find more:
Why Internal Elevations are Critical for your Home
Kitchen Design to Match your Lifestyle
Episode 55: Kitchen Design Essentials: Handles and
Episode 54: Kitchen Design Essentials- Appliances Part
Episode 53: Kitchen Design Essentials – Appliances - Part
Episode 51: Kitchen Design Essentials- Kitchen Taps and
Episode 50: Kitchen Design Essentials- Kitchen Taps and
Episode 49: Kitchen Design Essentials – Butler’s Pantries and
Episode 47: Kitchen Design Essentials – Key Kitchen
Episode 45: Kitchen Design Essentials - Internal Elevations &
Read our latest blog on Internal Elevations and Joinery Design
Episode 43: Kitchen Design Essentials – Flatpack Vs Custom Designed
Episode 39: Kitchen Design Essentials –
Episode 38: Kitchen Design Essentials-Benchtop Criteria and
Materials – Part 2-
Episode 36: Kitchen Design Essentials – Benchtops part
Episode 14: Forever Home LIVE- Joinery Drawings and Why Do Them
Episode 30: Kitchen Design Essentials -Kitchen Design Layouts and
Episode 32: Kitchen Design Essentials – The Builder’s
How to Choose the Right Bench Top-
Top 5 tips for selecting benchtops-